"Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things." -James 3:4-5
It's funny how easily I can convince myself that I have everything under control. Knowing myself well, I should not be surprised when I find myself attempting to manipulate life situations, nor should I be startled when I find that tendency spilling over into the lives of those around me. Have you ever felt as though you had the answers to everyone else's problems?
I can wag my tongue easily enough, but what am I really accomplishing? Just as God asked Job, I find Him asking me, "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me if you have understanding"- Job 38:4
No... I don't have much of that. I am ever thankful for His gentle prodding and for the still, small voice that steals my soul when I give it my full attention. Without His Word I would be left to my own cloddy ones, and I would be lost. I'm learning the value of silence and the humility of listening. Maybe I am jumping ahead of myself. I am only beginning to realize how badly I need to learn these things.
All of these thoughts bring me to a very spiritual song by John Mayer,
"My stupid mouth has got me in trouble
I said too much again..."
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment